Uncover Hidden Flowers meanings
In general, the hyacinth flower is the flower dedicated to Apollo.
It also is seen to mean rashness. It signifies games and sports as well. These meanings and symbolisms all begin from the story of Hyacinthus. He was Apollo’s favorite companion. Zephyr, the west wind also favors Hyacinthus. Upon finding out that Apollo is dearer to Hyacinthus, Zephyr went into a scheming jealous rage.
When he saw that Apollo and Hyacinthus were playing the discus, he made the wind blow so strongly that it flew back and hit Hyacinthus. Hyacinthus died on the spot and where his blood fell, sprung the hyacinth flower.
Because Apollo and Hyacinthus were playing the discus, the hyacinth flower represents games and sports. Because Zephyr acted rashly by making the wind blow on the disc, his jealous act caused Hyacinthus death. Because Hyacinthus is Apollo’s favorite companion, it just sounds right that the flower that came from Hyacinthus’ blood is Apollo’s flower.
Superstitions of Hyacinths
Hyacinths have more myths about it than superstitions. For the most part, it’s thought that hyacinth flowers can provoke sleep and thus it can work as a cure for people suffering with insomnia.
- Name: Hyacinth Flower
- Color: With over 30 species of hyacinth flowers, it only means you’ll have a wide range of options when it comes to the color of the blossoms. From a simple white and cream to something more striking like salmon, peach and blue, you’ll never run out of color combination in a bouquet. But what really sets hyacinth apart from the rest of the flowers is that it’s the only plant with blue colored flowers that look “true” blue.
- Shape: Once the flowers on the hyacinth cluster are seen individually, these look pretty much like stars when viewed from the front. On the side, it looks like a bell. As a cluster, hyacinths look like club of petals.
- Fact: The most popular species of hyacinth are the garden hyacinth and the grape hyacinth. But how can you easily differentiate the two? You can easily tell which is which is by looking at their shape. Just like the name, grape hyacinths look like a bunch of grapes.
- Poisonous: Hyacinths are very toxic plants.
- Number of Petals: Considering one flower in a hyacinth flower cluster, it has six petals. But it’s not unusual to see blossoms with eight petals.
- Victorian Interpretation: The Victorian interpretations for the hyacinth flower are games and sports, rashness, and also it’s a flower dedicated to Apollo.
- Blossom Time: The best season to look for hyacinth flowers is from March to June. At this time, you’ll have choices upon choices of hyacinth colors.
- The Shape: Not to be confused with the grape variety of the hyacinth, this cluster of flowers has star shaped blossoms.
- Petals: At the beginning, when the hyacinth is just in the process of blooming, the petals look more tubular and elongated than star like. When the petals curl up to open, the star shape of the flowers becomes more defined.
- Numerology: The hyacinth has the characteristics of numerology number 7. It’s about analysis and understanding and it’s also about knowledge. Seven is the most mystical of all the numbers in numerology.
- Color: The hyacinth is a flower that has many different colors. But what made hyacinth well-known the world over is that it’s the only flower with a true blue hue.
- Herbalism and Medicine: The hyacinth flower is mainly used as oil. It has a strong and powerful fragrance that’s also hypnotic and soothing. Used on its own or with a blend of ingredients like rose, grapefruit or frankincense, it can help in relieving stress and soothing a person’s mind. It also helps people get relief from the tension they feel.
By Flo Saul
Aug 20, 2012